Thursday, 28 May 2020

Is 13th Age for me?


So to give a bit of background:The type of Game I want to Run/Play:Shared story-telling / character-driven stories above all else (I'm a hardcore narrativist);has PCs that not only respond to what the GM says; but set-up the next opportunity for themselves and/or another PC (basically RPG yes, and). To this end; I love PbtA's roll and if you roll well, pick how the situation changes. It gives PCs agency beyond their character's immediate actions.investigation as the most dominant in-game trope. (I dislike combat the most; especially 5e's long-winded hit-point turn-based slog-fest).What I want to run:Epic Fantasy where:characters have rich backgrounds and mechanical incentives for Role Play (Burning Wheel beliefs, PbtA games that do obligation questions etc). I am interested to see how characters beliefs about the world evolve and how they respond to mystery.characters do not engage in combat often. It's very rare and lethal without research first. Combat is also fast and more narrative based than "I take my 30ft step and hit it with my +5 axe".investigation is the major component (not just clues at a crime scene; but tailing a suspect, breaking into an office, planting someone in a position to get intel, stalking a monster but not engaging to learn it's weaknesses); building up to a confrontation with a single monster after a 2-3 session arc without combat.political intrigue; finding out who is behind plots and why monsters are now a problem.Other thingsI don't like high crunch; 5e is too crunchy for me (only just). GUMSHOE is about as crunchy as I like it.Low prep. I like play to find out styles and a few dot-points on an A4 sheet being prep.My Question:Will 13th Age support this or would I be hacking a system to do something not intended? I think it will, but then I'm wondering if Dungeon World is the better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment