Tuesday, 27 February 2018

Making the big art History plunge - could use some encouragement.


Hi all!I've decided to go back to school. For now, I intend to concentrate in Art at a CC, then transfer to potentially major in Art History. Will most likely also take a minor in German.I'm 26, come from a poor family, and I'm unemployed. However, I'm in a great position where my fiance (who is the breadwinner and is completely supporting me right now because he is a saint) and family want me to just do what will make me happy in life, risks be damned. There are many areas in my life that I love. I especially love my fiance and the life we are trying to create together. But the great big elephant in the room that is blocking us from achieving this is the absolute hatred and depressing state of my job hunt.I come here as a retail survivor. I worked part-time $8 per hour in an industry I shouldn't even be in (I have some medical issues) and started having daily panic attacks from being verbally berated by customers. I was getting embarrassed when people would ask me what I do for a living. I felt like my job made the world a worse place. After a particularly traumatizing event (a customer sexually assaulted me), I decided I couldn't deal with this anymore and I quit.I've decided to dive full-on going to college for the first time at age 26, with the intention of majoring in Art History. I already know what you're thinking. Who could be a worse candidate for this? Here's the thing...I'm not going into this with the expectation that I'm going to be a big wig at a museum or being a fashionable curator - although both of those things would be awesome. I am content with the fact that I may come out of college, job hunt, and end up working in insurance. Or being a library circulator. Or going for extra education and becoming a teacher. At which, I won't exactly be earning good (or arguably even decent) money. I get that. I understand it. I accept it.Because Art History will at the very least have given me a door to working actual full-time hours, at a place that will be paying me more than a measly $5,000 per year, where I won't expect to be harassed every day, and I can honestly say that I take pride in my work and have an actual, real career.That is why I'm going for this "useless degree" (whatever the ehck that even means anymore) at a "mature" age.Believe me, if I could study computer science or underwater welding, I'd do it. But I have no interest whatsoever. The only thing I can see myself realistically studying in college is Art. So art it is, and everything and everyone else be damned!I apologize, I felt like I really needed to write this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment